By Michael Gallatin
1) Hey guys! We’re Shiffley. We are Alex Ganes (singer, 21), Alex Jenks (synths and trombone, 21), Shaune Killough (bass guitar, 20), Will Rosati (guitar, 20) and me, Bryan Contreras (Drums, 22). We like to call our genre of music “BubbleGumSynth Rock.”
2) We have been a band for about 2 years now and we have been playing seriously for about a year.
3) Alex G, Alex J, Shaune, and I were high school friends and had played in bands together before Shiffley. One day in 2012, Alex Ganes approached Shaune and I about some music he had been writing, and it blew our minds. The music was catchy, and the lyrics were undeniably relatable. We knew if we worked together to bring the music to life, we would could change the world. We added Will Rosati this summer for his killer guitar skills, and experience with synths and electronic music.
4) Although we’re a relatively new band, we’ve made huge strides in our careers thanks to determination, long hours of practice, and a little bit of luck. Last year, we opened for a national touring act, Twenty One Pilots. We’ve also been fortunate enough to be top contenders in several national competitions. In early 2014, we also placed 4th in CBS’s nationwide Grammy Gig of a Lifetime contest. Our music was handpicked by Fall Out Boy and Emeli Sande out of 500+ acts that submitted their music to the competition. We were also a semifinalist in VH1’s Make a Band Famous contest. More recently, our music has been placed on several Television spots, being featured on prestigious networks such as TruTV and the Travel Channel. We’re so grateful for the opportunities we’ve received thus far, and for the support of our family and friends who drive us to be the strongest band we can be.
5) We all love so many different kinds of music but the top 3 bands we look up to are twenty one pilots, The Killers, and Phoenix.
6) During the school semesters we play college campuses as often as we can. During our winters and summers are when we are the most busy usually playing one HUGE hometown show per season along with mini tours up and down the east coast. The thing we love most about performing is creating an unforgettable experience for everyone. We build a lot of stage props to add to the whole aesthetic of the show. From people dancing in homemade robot costumes to foot-activated lighting platforms on each end of the stage, we put on an experience that gets everyone dancing that you will never forget.
7) The future of the band is very promising. In just a year we have progressed so much that we would be remiss if we didn’t try to do this full time. Come May 2015, we will be fully committing ourselves to the band and we couldn’t be more excited!
8) Our most memorable show was opening for twenty one pilots. It was an amazing experience! They were so encouraging and provided great insight into the music industry. They were genuine dudes with a great story and even a better message with their music, which is exactly we aspire to accomplish.
9) What makes Shiffley stand out is our unique song writing abilities which emphasize synth, bass lead guitar lines, and our live shows. We pride ourselves in the shows we put on for others. The music will make you want to dance, and the lyrics will resonate in your heart and mind. If you go to one of our shows, you’ll never forget it. We leave the audience wanting more and more.
10) Our style is completely reflective of the people who are involved with the band. Each of us inject our own musical backgrounds and influences into our parts of each song, and the energy we put into playing them is our way of saying “thanks” to everyone who supports what we do. We would be nothing without our #ShiffleyArmada.
11) We currently have a 4-song EP called “Atomic Robot Man.” We released it last year and the songs have really done well for us. We are currently working on our new EP entitled “Anthem City” which will also consist of four of our newest songs.